Milwaukee remembers 106 firefighters who died in the line of duty | News
Milwaukee remembered 106 firefighters who died in the line of duty Wednesday. They did so during a formal ceremony that took place at the quarters of Engine 2 on Wells St.
The ceremony included the reading of a story about one of those fallen firefighters. It was followed by a bell and flag ceremony.
A monument that shows a pair of firefighter boots, a draped jacket and helmet stand outside the Engine 2 quarters. It was created by artist Robert Daus. The monument is meant to not only symbolize fallen firefighters, but also the loss felt by family, friends and fellow firefighters.
You can make a contribution to the Milwaukee Fallen Firefighter Memorial by purchasing a brick that will be placed in the "Walk of Honor." To make a contribution, CLICK HERE.
Upcoming Events near East Side
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Marquette team wins $53,000 at international business plan competition
- Balancing act: Keeping the Public Market open during construction
- EVACUATED: Milw. Public Market cleared, fire reported in hole
- All aboard! Downtown trolley service kicks off Thursday, June 5th
- Peking House Chinese Restaurant & Bar to open in downtown Milw.
- North Shore F.D. deals with two wrecks within minutes
- Celebrating Earth! Schlitz Audubon Nature Center shows you how
- Highway W in Saukville shut down due to high water after heavy rains
- More rain Sunday brings flooding concerns, especially north of Milw.
- Bayside home suffers attic fire; fire officials find no smoke detectors inside