Milwaukee remembers 106 firefighters who died in the line of duty | News
Milwaukee remembered 106 firefighters who died in the line of duty Wednesday. They did so during a formal ceremony that took place at the quarters of Engine 2 on Wells St.
The ceremony included the reading of a story about one of those fallen firefighters. It was followed by a bell and flag ceremony.
A monument that shows a pair of firefighter boots, a draped jacket and helmet stand outside the Engine 2 quarters. It was created by artist Robert Daus. The monument is meant to not only symbolize fallen firefighters, but also the loss felt by family, friends and fellow firefighters.
You can make a contribution to the Milwaukee Fallen Firefighter Memorial by purchasing a brick that will be placed in the "Walk of Honor." To make a contribution, CLICK HERE.
Upcoming Events near East Side
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Peking House Chinese Restaurant & Bar to open in downtown Milw.
- Group wants portion of funds from potential new Bucks arena
- MPD investigates theft of sports apparel at Marquette University
- Police investigate apparel stolen from Al McGuire Center
- Bar owners in downtown Milwaukee hope for huge crowds Saturday
- Highway W in Saukville shut down due to high water after heavy rains
- More rain Sunday brings flooding concerns, especially north of Milw.
- Bayside home suffers attic fire; fire officials find no smoke detectors inside
- Brown Deer police say death of Ronnie Johnson ruled a suicide
- Some say you should “absolutely” vote in off-year elections