MPS, Morehouse partnership pulls in $800K in scholarships | News
MILWAUKEE — Milwaukee Public Schools announced a new partnership with Morehouse College Tuesday, June 19th. That partnership netted $800,000 in scholarships and means MPS is sending the largest-ever group of Wisconsin students to the alma mater of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
“We came together to talk about what could we do about the future of many young men of color in our community,” MPS Superintendent Gregory Thornton said.
Three additional Wisconsin students whose scholarships were made possible by the MPS partnership also signed scholarship offers. The money came from generous private and corporate donations, but the recipients had to earn the reward.
The MPS students who won the academic scholarships to the prestigious all-male Morehouse College in Atlanta are:
- Jaylin Durham, MPS’ Rufus King
- Onteria Harris, MPS’ Pulaski High School
- Devon Kidd, MPS’ Rufus King
- Trequan Martin, MPS’ Washington High School of Information Technology
- DeAndre Matthews, MPS’ Bradley Tech High School
- Nicholas Stokes, MPS’ Rufus King
- Justin Wilks, MPS’ James Madison Academic Campus
“I think it was great. Us young men in Milwaukee, we don’t get a good rep around the city, so I think for us to have this opportunity, for people who believe in us to give us money to go to school and pay our full tuition — I think is great,” Durham said.
MPS’ partnership with Morehouse also generated benefits for students from schools around Wisconsin.
- Aaron Blake, Madison LaFollette High School
- Antoine Easterling, Mequon Homestead High School
- Zachary George, Shorewood High School
“It’s no surprise that Bill Crosby and Denzel Washington and Steve Harvey and Stevie Wonder would send their sons to Morehouse. They recognize that there’s a place where the nation’s elite intellectually can come and be found and find themselves at a place where they can grow both spiritually, educationally, socially and academically,” Morehouse trustee Dale Jones said.
Morehouse College is the nation’s largest private liberal arts college for men.
Upcoming Events near East Side
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Jury in O’Donnell parking structure case called back to court
- Milwaukee Ballet offering a way to keep holiday dollars local this season
- Thousands turn out for 87th annual Milwaukee Holiday Parade
- New issue for victims of O’Donnell parking garage collapse
- Brew City Brand Apparel is a Milwaukee success story
- Brown Deer police need help to identify armed robber
- 13-year-old Tatiana Clayton is back in the arms of her family
- Death of serial killer Walter Ellis leaves questions unanswered
- Mounting fines for minor infractions hit low-income drivers hardest
- Two teenagers shot and injured Saturday night, home set on fire